Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Write. Send. Get Published.


If it does not write, can not be sent. If not present, you may not be published.

It may sound simple, even stupid, but how many of us continue to tell ourselves that we are to write a book someday? One day. When we have more time. When children are grown. When life does not require that much of our attention.

Here's some news: there's no time like that. When I was at the University, earning a degree in English Literature, I could not wait to have a real job. I thought it meant that I would have more free time for me. "Self," I said. "Imagine coming home from work and be able to do what you want. There are no more exams to study for. No longer read Shakespeare. It will be pure heaven!"

At this point, I can hear the lot of you with jobs a day giggling. Now I know how naive I was. Having a day job means that spend fifty hours a week spent at work instead of the fifteen school. Then I go home and spend time with my poor husband neglected. And let's not even mention chores. Those who are not getting done.

Bottom line: the writing was not likely to happen if I did not happen. So, I made a list of objectives. Every day, the objectives are different, so I can put into question and not feel like I'm stuck in a repetitive rut. I am not proud to admit that do not meet my targets almost every day, but that's okay. At least I try. And the book is getting written one word at a time.

But what if your novel / novella / short story written, and do not have? You may think that it is not polished or professional enough. Maybe you think nobody likes you. Or maybe you're just afraid of rejection. These are all good reasons, in your mind, not to send your story to a publisher.

Newsflash number two: if it comes, you'll never published. Never. The publishers are not mind readers. They do not know you wrote the bestselling Next unless you show them, sell them. Yes, this means putting ourselves out there, subjecting themselves to the inevitable waste. All right, too.

Join some groups, writing, online or in your hometown, the place does not matter. What matters is the support and friendships can be formed. Knowing that you are not alone, there are many of us that we put ourselves through this every day can encourage even the most timid writer.

So write. Send. Get published.

I, for one, do not wait to read your work .......

No comments:

Post a Comment