Saturday, September 8, 2012

Business Networking is like an orange tree


Recently, my 5 year old son told me he wanted to plant an orange tree in our backyard. Excited about his new interest, proudly took him to the nursery to buy a small tree to plant. "When the oranges grow, Dad?" he asked as I was watering the tree. "It will take some time," I said. "We have to water the tree every few days, and in a few weeks, you will begin to grow oranges."

Of course, my 5-year-old son has no idea how much time is 2 weeks. The next morning, he rose from his bed and eagerly ran to the back window, looking oranges. He came into my bed and woke me up. "Dad, how come the oranges are not grown up yet?" "It will take some time," I said. "You must have patience."

By the third day I realized that maybe plant a tree has not been the best pastime for a 5-years. At his age, is all about instant gratification - when my wife and I promise to buy him a toy, we know we must do it for him immediately. When we make plans to go on vacation, make sure not to talk about it until a few days before. One can not help a child to wait a few weeks to go to Disney World.

Personal networking is no different. When I joined my local Chamber of Commerce several years ago, I wanted instant gratification. When I showed up at a networking event, I expected the phone to ring the next day. As my son, I wanted instant results and had no patience to wait. As a networker, I was too immature to understand that great things could happen later.

After all, other marketing techniques do not take longer. Print advertising, telephone solicitation, and direct mail - if done properly - leading to immediate results. Personal networking requires more time, and therefore requires a greater level of patience and maturity. However, the quality of business received from the network is far superior, because nothing beats a personal reference. If done properly and with patience, the results could be phenomenal.

The concept is simple - know the people, and these people know more people. With the introduction of myself to someone, my hope is not just that I'll get business with that person, but maybe they know someone (or few) I can do business with. The more people who know the services you provide, the better. It may take some time until someone needs my service, but when someone knows or does, I know you will call me.

It really works! Some of my best customers came to me as a referral from someone I know. When I need a service, I think that I know personally that performs that service. If I can not think of anyone, ask someone I trust for a referral.It 's so simple, but not always clear how effective networking can be. So keep at it - as I know my son will be in awe at the sight of that tree because it produces oranges, I know I will be delighted with the fruits of your labor .......

No comments:

Post a Comment